A command of Islamic guerillas of Dagestan, assaulted an old Soviet base, that still was under Russian control, in that republic of the Caucasus. The facilities were top secret and hid a biological research laboratory. During the altercation, a very contagious pathogen was released. The authorities did not allow the correspondents to be photographed, but there was talk that there were hundreds of dead and that Putin had decreed the state of alarm throughout the Russian territory, displacing the correspondents in Dagestan to Moscow, to guarantee their own security.

A few days later, the situation seemed out of control. The Putin government was sending troops and medical personnel and the Russian authorities had begun the evacuation tasks of the populations near the infection center. Forty-eight hours after these events, the closure of all Russian borders had been decreed and a team from the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta had moved to the scene. Only a few hours later and just when they were starting to work and to care for the infected, two of their members had to be evacuated to the United States, after having suffered an incident with patients.

A team from the World Health Organization, which had been envied from Ramnstein, Germany, also had to be evacuated as a matter of urgency. In some internet portals, it was commented that there could be dead among the members of this international team.

Of the situation in Russia, little was known. As much of the medical equipment, as of the civil population of the zone, but some images of amateurs that had been able to leave the country through Internet, showed long caravans of vehicles fleeing. There were also groups of police and army, equipped with combat equipment, heading in the opposite direction, towards what was called the "hot zone."

The Russian government finally declared martial law. All foreign journalists had to leave the country, freedom of assembly and press was suppressed and an internet blackout was decreed throughout the country. Nothing could enter or leave the network from Russia.

New cases of infection were occurring in some of the refugee camps in neighboring republics. There was talk that it could be a particularly devastating variant of the Nile virus, although there were media such as "The Sun" that spoke of a possible Ebola outbreak. «Reuters», reported that three of the WHO cooperating doctors who were evacuated to Ramstein, had died. Apparently, and according to the medical report provided, it was a hemorrhagic fever that caused disorientation and rash in those affected, with outbreaks of aggressiveness, so that the theory of Ebola seemed to gain weight.


In its beginning, it presents an encephalomyelitis followed by a strong fever; headache, sensory and respiratory alterations, paralysis, vomiting and seizures. It progresses causing the infected to a coma. The person dies due to respiratory paralysis and later, his body is reanimated presenting a clear aggressive behavior, homicidal tendencies and cannibalism.

Most of the research carried out in the disease control centers before their fall shows that this is because the virus travels through the new infected's bloodstream - from the moment it is scratched or bitten - to reach the frontal lobe of the same brain; Once there, the virus begins to mutate all the cells of the brain, destroying them in the process and causing severe alterations in behavior; coordination and sensitive capacity of the affected individual. Finally, the infected cells are able to survive without the need for oxygen. The virus does not manage to mutate and reanimate each and every one of the cells of the brain, but it only makes an effect on the cerebellum, making it so, there are only basic needs such as feeding. This means that although the person has certain abilities, the rest of the brain will remain dead and their memories, their thoughts and their way of being, have been erased forever.

The transformation of an infected cadaver occurs in a very variable period of time, depending largely on the way in which the virus has been transmitted (fatal wound, slight wound or other means of transmission) as well as the constitution of the affected person It should be remembered that every human being is infected, because the virus spread through the air, but it will not manifest until it is attacked by another infected person or dies from any other cause other than those previously mentioned. In this way, the progress can last between 2 minutes and several hours -even days- after the inoculation of the agent.

The conversion has the following phases:

First phase:
Pain, change of coloration, infection and gangrene of the wound and adjacent area.

Second stage:
High fever, mild headache and presence of nausea or vomiting. At the end of this phase, the first respiratory difficulties appear.

Third phase:
Increase of fever, pain and appearance of the first symptoms of dementia and lack of muscular coordination. The difficulties and respiratory alterations become more severe and evident. This phase ends with the coma in the infected.

Fourth phase:
Death occurs in the patient infected by cardio-respiratory arrest and soon after, cerebral arrest.

Fifth phase:
Resuscitation of the cerebellum and, therefore, of the deceased. It will show aggressive tendency. Its appearance is that of a recent corpse, which can present fatal wounds -which are ignored by the subject- as well as part of the muscular bone tissue detached from the body. The affected person does not feel pain, does not breathe and his heart does not beat, so to kill or stop him, the cerebellum - the part of the brain reanimated by the virus - must be destroyed. These beings are hostile and extremely dangerous; They do not have any humanity in them, although sometimes they instinctively move through the areas they used to be when they were still alive or - although rarely - they try to open doors or take objects. These instincts will be lost with the passing of the months and, later, they will only want to attack.

Apocalypse — Plot IXMa380